Sunday, April 27, 2014


Buses from KL Sentral to Sepang were more full on qualifying day. I let one bus go since there were no more seats and ended up in a bus full with hung-over young Australians who had partied all night long. Some looked like they would not live through the day!

Sepang race track was more busy than on Friday with lots of fans showing their colours and being dressed up in funny ways. Very entertaining. 

I also met my seat neighbors who flew in from the U.K. for the race and as it turned out, they were real F1 experts, having worked in that field and living close by most of the producers of F1 engines. And they turned out to be real nice people who shared the same resentment against all those people who didn't have proper seats but were standing and blocking our views.

The morning and early afternoon was filled with Paddock Club Pit Lane Walks, Pit Stop Practice and Malaysian Super Series as well as Porsche Carrera Cup activities. 

Just in time for the F1 Qualifying session the air felt like rain and surely half way through the qualifying session it just came down on us as if the world would end. It was expected here in Malaysia though, but having bought a covered seat I was not expecting the roof above me to leak! And the constant splashing of water behind our seats made us as wet as if we had just stood under an umbrella. My neighbors said, they had complained about this leak for years with the organizers and nothing was fixed!

The Qualifying Session had to be delayed for a long time with nothing else to do but wait. Eventually the rain eased off and it got going again shortly before it was getting dark. 

The rain also took it's toll on the way back to the city, for two reasons. 1) the back door did not fully close and driving on the flooded streets with heavy downpour made the first three rows in the back unfit for seating. The front of the bus was full too with people standing and hanging on to the rails. And secondly, it rained even heavier as we got back into the city, with streets flooded and traffic standing, which then took a full 2 hours to get us back. Definitely not taking that bus tomorrow on race day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment